Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
loaded with chicken, vegetables, and a variety of spices. Makes a great dinner. This could be refrigerated, and heated later. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, before heating. If you prefer it milder, use 1/8 teaspoon red pepper.
- 1 (5 2/3 ounce) package chicken and herb couscous mix
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook couscous according to package directions, but add 3 tablespoons margarine instead of amount specified.
- In a large skillet, heat oil, and saute squash, zucchini, onion, and bell pepper approximately 10 minutes. DO NOT BROWN.
- Add peas, garlic powder, cumin, curry powder, red pepper, and salt , then toss.
- Combine vegetables and couscous. If it is a little dry, add a couple tablespoons water.
- Pour into buttered 2 1/2 quart baking dish, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered at 350°F for 25 minutes.
This is a tasty, healthy dish that we really enjoyed. I didn't have curry powder so used a korma spice powder mix. I put the korma spice, garlic and cumin in and tasted it. For my preference, it needed more flavour so I added more of each and it had a great flavour. This recipe makes great leftovers! I also served it at the end of step 4, skipping the baking. We didn't miss the cheese. Thanks for a super recipe!
Love all the colors, flavors, and textures of this dish they were great. DH said he thought it had a slight southwest flavor. Made this yesterday, then baked this evening which was a great time saver on a Monday evening. Thanks for the post.