Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A good breakfast or brunch casserole. Heck, it's good anytime. Make the night before and put in the refrigerator overnight. Pop it in the oven and breakfast is done.
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green onion
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 5 cups Italian bread, cubes 1 inch
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Let oil get hot in a large skillet.
- Add in onions and mushrooms; saute until tender.
- Add in bell pepper; cook and stir frequently for 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Put 2 1/2 cups bread cubes evenly in a lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Top with half of the mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese and half the parmesan cheese; repeat layers.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and hot sauce until well blended; pour over the strata.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Let strata set out on counter for 15 minutes while the oven is preheating.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set.