Top Review by Outta Here
This was tasty, but a tad underdone. I think 40-60 minutes at a lower temperature might have worked. The top was way too brown after the called for 20 minutes, and looked great, but the inside was rather runny. I will make it again and adjust the time and temp. I used asparagus. Thanks for posting this!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 -8 sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup diced broccoli or 1⁄2 cup asparagus, tips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 egg whites
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- To Make Roux: Melt butter, then blend in flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat. Add cheese, and stir until melted.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl until thick and lemon colored. Slowly add to cheese mixture, stirring constantly. Reserve, cover and keep warm,.
- Sauté mushrooms, red peppers, and broccoli or asparagus tips in olive oil, and reserve.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups roux to vegetables and fold in egg whites.
- Pour into an ungreased souffle dish.
- Bake in a hot water bath for 15-20 minutes or until "top hat" is slightly brown.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.