Recipe by Pinay0618
I got this recipe years and years ago when I bought a set of recipe cards. It's a very simple recipe, easily doubled for larger families or tripled for potlucks and barbecues.
Top Review by Ashley L.
I doubled the recipe. I also substituted in equal amounts skim milk and fat-free half and half in place of whole or 2% milk. I used fat free cheddar. I really enjoyed this dish. I'll probably make it a new side dish for the holidays. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1 inches of water in a saucepan; add vegetables. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper and dry mustard until blended.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until cheese is melted.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2 cup baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and vegetables are tender.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.