Recipe by byZula
My family loves this recipe and I always get requests for it. A great way to get your kids to eat veggies! I've made this almost every Thanksgiving and/or Christmas since about 1997! I usually use about 1/2 a cup or more of cheese. I like to use different types and also to sprinkle it on top. I've never even used the pimiento, and regular onion works just fine. There are many types of frozen vegetable mixes, so choose your favorite! (Some garlic and a little extra seasoning to taste doesn't hurt either.)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pimiento
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine frozen veges. and boiling water. Bring to boil again. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Blend in flour. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Simmer, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Add cheese and seasonings.
- Mix in vegetables, onions and pimiento.
- Spread into buttered 1-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes; or until bubbly.