Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good! From Mastercook II, a CD-rom.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 lb broccoli
- 4 carrots, diced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground basil or 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- salt, to taste
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped or 1 bunch spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Dice onion, dice pepper, peel and dice carrots, cut the broccoli into flowerets and stems. For Swiss chard or spinach, wash, trim and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Saute onion and peppers in oil in a large skillet.
- Add broccoli, carrots, tomato sauce, bay leaf, basil and salt to taste. Blend thoroughly. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook vegetables until just tender. Will take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard or spinach. Transfer to a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Blend parsley into prepared potatoes; spread over top of vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika if you wish; it adds color.
- Serve hot or warm.