Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
For Zaar World Tour 2, a Scandanavian dish:)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 small head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling. Add carrots, beans, cauliflower and onion.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain vegetables, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Place vegetables in ungreased 11 x 7-inch baking dish or 8-inch square baking dish.
- Heat butter over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in reserved liquid and whipping cram. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Pour sauce over vegetables; sprinkle with cheese.
- Set oven to broil or 550 degrees F. Broil until top is light brown and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
We both really enjoyed this, and it's full of healthful veggies:D To make it even more healthful, I subbed non-fat half-and-half for the whipping cream and cut back a bit on the butter. Instead of parmesan I added asiago cheese which I had on hand. I was thinking you could add vegetable broth instead of water from the vegetables, but it turned out fine as is. We ate 3/4 of the dish, then I had the rest for breakfast:D Thanks Angela, my teammate for ZWT IV:)
This is decadent!! DH darn near ate the whole thing!! Very rich and delicious! Next time we want to add broccoli to it! Thanks for a great veggie dish!