Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light, feel free to omit amchur if you can't find it. These tender patties are meant to be soft. Prepare through step eight the day before since the mixture is easier to work with once it has been refrigerated overnight. Great served with the Fiery tomato chutney I've posted.
- 236.59 ml chickpeas, canned, rinsed and drained
- 236.59 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, coarsely chopped
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 4.92 ml amchur powder
- 6.16 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and quartered
- 907.18 g peeled red potatoes, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 59.14 ml red onion, coarsely chopped
- 236.59 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 631.69 ml spinach
- 4 (24 inch) whole grain pita, cut in half
- 8 slice red onions
- Combine 1st 9 ingredients in the bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; cook 13 minutes.
- Add onion and cook 2 min or til potatoes are tender.
- Drain; cool 10 minutes.
- Place potatoes and onion in large bowl; mash with a masher or fork.
- Stir in chickpea mixture and breadcrumbs.
- Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2 inch thick patty (about 2/3 c mixture).
- Heat 1 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 4 patties to pan; cook 5 min on each side or til browned and heated through.
- Repeat with remaining patties and oil.
- Place 1/3 c spinach and 1 patty in each pita half.
- Top with onion.