Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is wonderful! My niece, Erika, made it for us after she had taken a class at the Chopping Block in Chicago. Everyone wanted the recipe! This is actually two recipes, one for the bruschetta and one for the pesto. The last 6 ingredients are for the pesto. My prep. time is a complete estimate as I am always doing too many other things at the same time to pay attention!
- 1 small zucchini or 1 small summer squash, diced
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1 small onion, preferably purple, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 1 loaf bread, a good crusty one like ciabatta
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 6 tablespoons romano cheese or 6 tablespoons asiago cheese, freshly grated
- For Bruschetta: Combine first nine ingredients (through the pepper) and set aside. Preheat grill or oven. Slice bread in half the long way, then in smaller slices. Grill or toast bread 2 minute on each side. Brush one side of each slice w/pesto. Top each slice with 2 T of the vegetable mixture and drizzle with remaining juices from bottom of bowl. Serve immediately.
- For Pesto: Combine 2 cups of basil, the garlic, oil and pine nuts in a food processor. Stir in cheeses. Store extra in refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.