Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe comes for August/September 2004 Light & Tasty. It makes a wonderful side dish or with all the veggies and nuts it can stand alone as a light main dish.
Top Review by Teri230
I have made this twice now and didn't have a bag of just peas on hand either time, so subbed a bag of mixed veggies and it turned out WONDERFUL both times. Served it as a side with garlic tilapia. This is an awesome dish that I will make often. Thanks so much for posting. Delicious!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut into thin 1 inch strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 9 green onions, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice and basil stirring well.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- In a large non-stick skillet, stir-fry the carrots, onion, and green onions in hot oil for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add peas and salt; cook for 1 minute or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pecans, raisins and rice; heat through.
- Please note: If serving as a main dish the serving size yield will be less.