Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this in my Fanny Farmer Cookbook. The recipe below is the way I make it. The original recipe called for 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped, instead of the canned tomatoes. It also calls for 1 tsp. salt, or to taste. 1 c. eggplant is an optional ingredient, and you may substitute the zucchini with 1 c. sliced green beans. The recipe also called for vegetable oil, but I use canola or olive oil because they have less saturated fat. Last, it calls for 8 sprigs parsely.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup fresh parsley, loosely packed
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until they are lightly browned.
- Add the potato, carrots, celery, turnip, green beans or zucchini, tomato, and optional eggplant.
- Cook the vegetables, stirring occassionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the water, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, and salt (if using) and simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- Pour the broth and vegetables through a strainer into a large bowl or container, pressing the vegetables with the back of a spoon to extract the juices.
- Cool and refrigerate until used.