Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
A good base for soup
Top Review by Cooking Mom of 7
This does make a great broth. I sued to keep in the freezer. I do leave out the mushrooms and wine...just a personal taste thing. I always have some on hand and make it at least once a month. Great broht. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage, cored and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the carrots, leeks, onoin, cabbage, garlic, parsley, thyme and mushrooms in a large soup pot or saucepan. Add the water. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the wine and peppercorns and continue to simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain into a clean pot and discard all the solids.
- Season to taste with salt, if using. Use immediately or cool, then cover and refrigerate. The broth will keep for 5 days in the fridge or 4 to 5 months in the freezer.