Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an excellent vegetable stock - freeze what you don't use for next time. Another great recipe from Dr. Andrew Weil news letter.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, well washed and chopped
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 turkish bay leaves or 1⁄2 california bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 gallons cold water
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add the vegetables and stir-fry to brown lightly.
- Add the marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, and cold water.
- Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for one hour.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined colander.
- Press or squeeze the vegetables to extract their liquid.
- Discard the vegetables.
This is a great recipe, I made this as a vegan version by replacing the feta cheese with a soy feta, and the Parmesan cheese with a vegan Parmesan. I added sun dried tomatoes before cooking heating the garlic.
With a side of sliced bread with a Olive Oil, Balsamic vinegar, and minced garlic dipping sauce.