Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Vegetarian recipe from about.com. This is one of my husband's fav vegetarian recipes we have tried. He requests it all the time and even takes the leftovers for lunch. I really wouldn't leave out any ingredients, because the flavors all work so nicely together. The raisins really help to cut the spicy curry. Also, I end up using less of the curry paste, but it depends on your taste and what kind you purchase. If you don't like things too spicy, start off with less and build your way up to suit your taste. Note: Curry paste and powder are not the same and I do not recommend using powder for this recipe. ;)
- 3⁄4 cup dry green lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (mild, medium or biryani)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- In saucepan of boiling water, cook lentils for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion until deep golden, 6 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic, curry paste, salt and pepper; sauté until fragrant, 3 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower, rice, raisins and lentils to coat.
- Add stock and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas and warm through, 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds (if using).
This does make a ton! I couldn't find Indian curry paste, so I used Thai red curry and ended up adding about 1 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp tumeric to it to round out the flavors. It's really good, although I'm not sure my meat-eater DH will like it. I'm going to make it again when I find Indian curry paste. Thanks for the recipe, FrVanilla!
I thought I rated this long ago... we have this often! I use brown basmati rice, add the lentils after 15 min, and the veggies towards the end making this a one dish meal :) I never looked for curry paste so I use: 1 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp tumeric.
So good for meatless Mon. Served with poppodums. Used half amount of paste and was great for us.