1/1 Photo of Vegetable Biryani
Aromatic saffron rice layered with a spicy gravy of vegetables. You can make a baked version of veggie biryani by assembling the rice in a baking dish and baking for 10 minutes at 150 C.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
for the rice
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (kesar)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves (phudina)
for the gravy
- 1 cup mixed boiled vegetables (cauliflower florets, peas, french beans)
- 2 bay leaves (tejpatta)
- 4 peppercorns
- 4 cloves (laung or lavang)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder (hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour, mixed with
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1For the rice.
- 2Warm the saffron, add a little water, rub it so the milk becomes yellow and add to the rice.
- 3Mix in the rice, chopped mint leaves and salt and keep aside.
- 4For the gravy.
- 5Heat the oil in a pan add bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves to it.
- 6Add the chopped tomatoes, chili powder, coriander-cumin seed powder, asafetida and nutmeg powder. Cook for a few minutes while mashing continuously till the oil separates from the mixture.
- 7Add the tomato sauce and milk-corn flour mixture. Bring to a boil, add cream and mix well.
- 8Mix the vegetables in the gravy and keep aside.
- 9How to proceed.
- 10Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a huge vessel make a layer by spreading 1/3 of the rice.
- 11On it spread half the gravy and 1/3 of rice. Layer again with remaining half of the gravy and remaining 1/3 rice. Cover a lid and seal the edges with a dough.
- 12Cook on a slow flame for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.5
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 122.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: