Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fabulous veg biryani. Serve as is or as a part of a feast!
Make and share this Vegetable Biryani recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups whole-milk yogurt
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 7 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2⁄3 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, torn
- 5 green chilies, slit
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 green chilies
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- carrot, to taste
- green beans, to taste
- cauliflower, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- First, take your yogurt, and mix in your diced tomatoes.
- Next take your cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder, chili powder, chopped coriander, mint, and slit green chillies together, and add to yogurt.
- Then grind garlic, 4 green chillies and about an inch of garlic, and add to yogurt mixture.
- Allow yogurt mixture to sit for 2 hours (at least).
- Wash your rice and drain.
- Fry half the onions in a little ghee until translucent.
- Then add rice, stir until rice is coated in ghee and a bit fried (just a couple of mins).
- Add approx 5 cups water and Cook on low, low heat till 3/4 quarters done (some water will remain, but this will get soaked up and finish cooking while baking).
- Remove from heat.
- Cut your carrots and beans into thin strips, and break cauliflower into small florets.
- Heat 4 Tablespoons oil and a teaspoon ghee.
- To oil, add bay leaves, fennel, and star anise (DO NOT LEAVE OUT STAR ANISE PLEASE :-) ).
- Add the rest of your onion slices and fry until translucent.
- Then add veggies, stir until slightly crisp.
- Add yogurt mix, and salt to taste.
- Allow mixture to cook over medium heat until it cooks down and thickens to a spoon able mixture.
- Now you can preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Spread some rice in a large aluminum baking pan, then spread some of the yogurt mix over.
- Repeat by topping with rice, and then yogurt mixture, until both are used up.
- Now cover pan tightly with foil wrap making sure edges are sealed.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with Raita!