1 hr 40 mins
This is a fabulous veg biryani. Serve as is or as a part of a feast!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole-milk yogurt
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 7 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2/3 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, torn
- 5 green chilies, slit
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 green chilies
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- carrot, to taste
- green beans, to taste
- cauliflower, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1First, take your yogurt, and mix in your diced tomatoes.
- 2Next take your cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder, chili powder, chopped coriander, mint, and slit green chillies together, and add to yogurt.
- 3Then grind garlic, 4 green chillies and about an inch of garlic, and add to yogurt mixture.
- 4Allow yogurt mixture to sit for 2 hours (at least).
- 5Wash your rice and drain.
- 6Fry half the onions in a little ghee until translucent.
- 7Then add rice, stir until rice is coated in ghee and a bit fried (just a couple of mins).
- 8Add approx 5 cups water and Cook on low, low heat till 3/4 quarters done (some water will remain, but this will get soaked up and finish cooking while baking).
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10Cut your carrots and beans into thin strips, and break cauliflower into small florets.
- 11Heat 4 Tablespoons oil and a teaspoon ghee.
- 12To oil, add bay leaves, fennel, and star anise (DO NOT LEAVE OUT STAR ANISE PLEASE :-) ).
- 13Add the rest of your onion slices and fry until translucent.
- 14Then add veggies, stir until slightly crisp.
- 15Add yogurt mix, and salt to taste.
- 16Allow mixture to cook over medium heat until it cooks down and thickens to a spoon able mixture.
- 17Now you can preheat your oven to 400°F.
- 18Spread some rice in a large aluminum baking pan, then spread some of the yogurt mix over.
- 19Repeat by topping with rice, and then yogurt mixture, until both are used up.
- 20Now cover pan tightly with foil wrap making sure edges are sealed.
- 21Bake for 30 minutes.
- 22Serve with Raita!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.2
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 61.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh mint leaves