Recipe by Lynn Cowburn
I created this recipe from the orignal Vegetable Beef Stew from this site. However, I did not have all the ingredients (ie...onions) so I improvised. My family loved it.
Top Review by HEP MEP
Well, I improvised atop your improvise, but we loved it. I kept it pretty much the same but reduced the water, added 2 cans of diced tomatoes, a can of diced green chilies, onion, oregano and a bit of Italian seasoning - and lots of pepper. Thanks very much! I will make this again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 small carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, brown beef in oil.
- Add water, tomatoes, celery, carrots, potatoes, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water.
- Add to beef mixture.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.