Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cooking Light 2005
Make and share this Vegetable Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed peeled baking potatoes
- cubed peeled turnip (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1 cup slice carrot
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef, and cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Add beef broth and next 9 ingredients (broth through black pepper), stirring to combine; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Combine 1/4 cup water, flour, lemon juice, and sugar, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to beef mixture, stirring constantly; bring to a boil.
- Cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.