Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my memories of going to Bill Knapp's was looking forward to having a bowl of their delicious vegetable soup. This recipe is not spot on, but I feel it's close, but nevertheless satisfying. I use a pressure cooker when preparing this recipe. The beef nearly melts in your mouth and from start to finish in about an hour. I got the recipe from a newspaper article, I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe and use the pressure cooking method instead of conventional method.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks, cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes, trim fat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium potato, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons beef base
- 8 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In 5 or 6 quart pressure cooker brown beef on all sides in oil.
- Stir in all ingredients EXCEPT tomatoes.
- Lock lid on pressure cooker and cook on high until the weight begins to "jiggle".
- Lower heat to a slow consistent "jiggle" and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let pressure release conventionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and return to stove and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes.
- I used a 5 qt pressure cooker at 12 pounds of pressure for this recipe.