Uncle 12's Note:
One of my memories of going to Bill Knapp's was looking forward to having a bowl of their delicious vegetable soup. This recipe is not spot on, but I feel it's close, but nevertheless satisfying. I use a pressure cooker when preparing this recipe. The beef nearly melts in your mouth and from start to finish in about an hour. I got the recipe from a newspaper article, I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe and use the pressure cooking method instead of conventional method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks, cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes, trim fat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium potato, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons beef base
- 8 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In 5 or 6 quart pressure cooker brown beef on all sides in oil.
- 2Stir in all ingredients EXCEPT tomatoes.
- 3Lock lid on pressure cooker and cook on high until the weight begins to "jiggle".
- 4Lower heat to a slow consistent "jiggle" and cook for 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and let pressure release conventionally.
- 6Stir in tomatoes and return to stove and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes.
- 7I used a 5 qt pressure cooker at 12 pounds of pressure for this recipe.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Beef Soup - Pressure Cooker Recipe- Bill Knapp's
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.3
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 225.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef chuck steaks