Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a soup that I came up with while my Dh is on a diet to loose weight. This makes a lot of soup. I make it and use it for several meals, it freezes well. Serve with a crusty whole grain bread.
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 teaspoons beef bouillon (more if needed)
- 4 -5 cups water
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (i add some leaves)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans V8 vegetable juice
- 2 small zucchini, chunked
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced cabbage (can use coleslaw mix)
- 1 cup sliced okra (optional)
- Put beef, chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf and water in soup pot; cook until beef is tender.
- Add celery, tomatoes, V8 juice, zucchini, carrots, green beans, cabbage & okra if using.
- Cook until all vegetables are done, add salt & pepper to taste if needed.
Another winner! Made this yesterday with some slight changes that only (I think) enhanced this lovely soup. I used homemade beef stock instead of water and bouillon so I had more control of sodium level. Used my own recipe for V8 juice, and added more garlic. Did not use the okra (ugh!). I also used fresh tomatoes as I had them. This sure made alot...glad it freezes well. I don't have beef usually anymore but my friend had to go on a business trip suddenly and had this roast defrosted...I got it, thus the soup among other things. Really wonder why this has not been reviewed before!