Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a hearty soup that I love to serve with a great crusty bread.
Make and share this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs beef shank (want to have a bone)
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 4 cups tomato juice (V-8 vegetable juice)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup corn (I use fresh or frozen super sweet white)
- Combine the first nine ingredients in a large soup kettle.
- Cover and simmer for two hours.
- Strain broth and skim off excess fat.*
- Cut meat from bones into large cubes. Discard bones, return meat to broth.
- Add celery, carrots and potatoes; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Add fresh or frozen corn and peas, cook an additional 5-10 minutes.
- *I cool the strained broth, covered in the kettle, till the fat solidifies; then scoop it off the top! Often, I will do this much of the soup a day in advance, then finish it with the vegetables the following day.
Made half the recipe as posted. Loved it! Made a day ahead to get rid of extra fat. It smelled so good it was hard to wait for it to cool without having some. LOL! Thanks for sharing kitty. Made for PAC Spring 2011 ~ORPHANAGE~