Recipe by red and white kitchen
My moms recipe. Very good old fashioned soup. The stock is beef flovor, not tomato based.
- 1⁄2 lb pot roast or 1⁄2 lb steak
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon barley
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage
- 1⁄2 of a turnip
- 1 large tomatoes
- 6 potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon beef base or 4 beef bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into 1 inch pieces.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add beef, brown very well on all sides. Add 1 cup of water to skillet and stir to loosen the drippings in the skillet. Pour beef, water with drippings into large dutch oven .
- Add an additional 8 cups of water to dutch oven. Begin cooking over low heat.
- Add barley.
- Slice carrots and celery into 1/4 inch slices. Add to water.
- Dice in medium pieces onion, tomato and turnip and add.
- Coarsely chop cabbage and add.
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces and add.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring soup just to a boil, turn heat down to low and simmer 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Add parsley flakes frozen corn and peas simmer 20 minutes.