Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My moms recipe. Very good old fashioned soup. The stock is beef flovor, not tomato based.
Make and share this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb pot roast or 1⁄2 lb steak
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon barley
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage
- 1⁄2 of a turnip
- 1 large tomato
- 6 potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon beef base or 4 beef bouillon cubes
- Cut beef into 1 inch pieces.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add beef, brown very well on all sides. Add 1 cup of water to skillet and stir to loosen the drippings in the skillet. Pour beef, water with drippings into large dutch oven .
- Add an additional 8 cups of water to dutch oven. Begin cooking over low heat.
- Add barley.
- Slice carrots and celery into 1/4 inch slices. Add to water.
- Dice in medium pieces onion, tomato and turnip and add.
- Coarsely chop cabbage and add.
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces and add.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring soup just to a boil, turn heat down to low and simmer 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Add parsley flakes frozen corn and peas simmer 20 minutes.