Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very hearty soup great for cold winter days. Modified another Zaar recipe enough (because of ingredients I had on hand) that I thought I would go ahead and post with modifications. My family loved it!
- 1 lb hamburger (or beef roast)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans corn
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch oregano
- salt & pepper
- Boil hamburger in water (I feel this gets out more fat than frying)until browned. Rinse to get more fat out.
- In large stock pot boil all raw vegetables - carrots, potatoes, onions, cabbage and celery in broth until soft.
- Add all other ingredients. Simmer.
When SayHay6 says large stock pot, she means a *Large Stock Pot* I had to stop adding ingredients 3/4s of the way through making this to transfer the soup into my *Large Stock Pot* lol I used frozen corn and would have used frozen beans if I had them. I rinsed the green beans to wash some of the sodium away. Red cabbage is what I had in the refrigerator so I went with that. I think the only thing I'd do different is to use a bay leaf next time instead of the oregano. This is a very good soup that I plan to make again. I plan to freeze some in small serving sizes since it make so much. Then when DH comes out of the field he can start dinner with a warm bowl of soup. From one farm wife to another, thanks for posting this recipe! Made for *My 3 Chefs Fall 2008* game for my Theme: *FALL is SOUP TIME*