Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I got this from my mom, its cheap, and makes a lot! YUM
- 3 lbs beef soup bone
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley (optional)
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup rice or 1⁄4 cup barley
- 5 -6 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups cut green beans
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 6 whole mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup lima beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- Cut half the meat from the bone and brown in shortening.
- Add remaining meat and bone to 2 quarts if cold water.
- Add browned meat, onion and 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper;
- Cover and cook slowly 2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook 1 hour longer.
- You can other vegetables too. You can also add additional spices such as the Cajun spice.