Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love a good vegetable beef soup, but I'm not a big fan of soup that is predominantly tomato sauce so I came up with my own recipe. My brother does not like most vegetable soups, but loves this version. This would definitely fall into the "OAMC" category. You can easily cut the recipe in half
- 6 lbs lean stewing beef, cubed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 quarts water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef base
- 2 (16 ounce) bags frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen lima beans
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1 lb fresh carrot, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 medium turnips, peeled and diced
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- creole seasoning
- Season meat well with creole seasoning.
- In LARGE heavy stock pot heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add seasoned stew meat and chopped onion and saute until browned.
- Add water, garlic, beef base, tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes and seasoning to taste.
- Simmer meat mixture until meat starts to tenderize around 1 hour.
- Add carrots and turnips and continue to simmer until these start to tenderize, about 15 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer about 20-30 minutes.
A delicious soup and oh, so satisfying on a cold winter night. I did halve the recipe and substituted potatoes for the turnips and left out the lima beans and plopped in a few peas instead. Otherwise, I followed your recipe exactly. Served with crusty French Bread and a cherry pie for dessert. Thank you!