Cook1 hr 20 mins
This one dish meal is great for family, potlucks, etc. The original recipe came from Low Fat Country Cooking but I tweaked it with a few additions. It's a real down home dish!
- 3 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 473.18 ml fresh green beans (frozen can be substituted)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 453.59 g ground round, divided
- 4.92 ml dried thyme, divided
- 4.92 ml pepper, divided
- garlic powder
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 236.59-354.88 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a 3 quart casserole (I use a 9 x 13 pyrex dish), layer half the potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans and onion.
- Crumble half the uncooked beef over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each thyme and pepper, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder to taste.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake about 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender and meat is done.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.