From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 158.51 ml skim milk
- 141.74 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2-3 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 170.09 g can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 226.79 g can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 59.14 ml water
- 2.46 ml dried basil, crushed
- 2.46 ml dried oregano, crushed
- fresh ground pepper
- 118.29 ml shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 236.59 ml shredded part-skim farmer cheese
- Mix together ground beef, egg white, bread crumbs, garlic powder and milk.
- Pat into a 9x13 inch baking dish- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes; pour off any accumulated fat.
- Spread spinach over meat.
- Layer zucchini over spinach and onion and green pepper over zucchini.
- Mix together tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Pour over layered casserole.
- Cover with foil and return to oven.
- Bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- During last 10 minutes of baking time, remove foil and top with shredded cheeses.
Very nice recipe, easy and healthy! I used the whole egg, whole wheat breadcrumbs, and added a layer of kidney beans. I used all shredded farmer cheese. Thanks for posting!
Very good. Had to bake it 15 minutes more so the veggies weren't too crunchy. I added a little more spice cause I like things a little more spicy. Since I am diabetic this will be my NEW lasagna.
Well, this is real comfort food. Something this good you'd think would have to be hard on the cardiovascular system, but apparently it's NOT! I couldn't come up with the farmer's cheese, so substituted nonfat cottage cheese. I also used minced garlic rather than garlic powder & added 1/4 tsp thyme to the other seasonings. Otherwise, made it as directed. This one's a keeper!