Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This has been a favorite in our home for many years. Great on those cold winter days. Serve with fresh homemade rolls for a complete meal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables (I use a gumbo blend.)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Rinse the frozen vegetables under cold running water to separate and partially thaw before adding to soup.
- Mix all ingredients in 3 1/2- to 6-quart crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
I chose this for the ZWT game, it's a wonderful hearty soup with lots of flavor, I made mine on top of the stove and sauteed onions and garlic before adding in the other ingredients, I used beef broth in place of water and omitted the boulllon cubes, thanks for sharing Paula!...Kitten
Delicious! I cut the recipe in half and used fesh vegetables cut into chunks (carrots, celery, a leftover zucchini, some garlic and a few green beans). Wonderful. I did use beef broth for the water and bouillon. Served with Kittencal's Parmesan Garlic Bread or Garlic Toast#105726 and we had a great meal. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup ~ Jan-June 2013.
I truly enjoyed this recipe!!! Up until this point I've had a hard time finding a really good crockpot soup. This one was great. The flavour was really good!! I used ground beef & fried the onions & beef before putting it in the crockpot with all the other ingrediants. For vegies, I used frozen peas & corn. Cut up fresh carrots & parsley. Next time I'll add finely chopped potatoes & some kale chopped fine as well. DELICIOUS!!! Done in exactly 8 hours....We loved it.