Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Connie's recipe from family collection.
- 6 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Place bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes or until almost crisp. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach. Ladle into soup bowls and top with grated cheese.