Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Have not tried this yet. The recipe says two summer squash I am not sure just how much this would be since they do vary in size so it was suggested to me that around 1 - 2 cups should be Ok and since most veggie soups are so easily mixed around with how many veggies are added. I would leave this up to a persons individual tastes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (about 4 shakes) (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker crock and mix.
- well. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Stir well before.
- serving. If desired, stir in Tabasco sauce before serving.
Made this soup this morning before leaving for work. Had some for my dinner tonight. Yummy soup, although I found it needed a bit more spice for me. I used one med. zucchini and one small yellow squash and I used fresh mushrooms. Plus I put in a bit more than 4 shakes of Tabasco. I would make this again but add in some other spices. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Holiday Tag '09 Forgot to mention I threw in a handful of brocoli and cauliflower that I had left in the fridge.
This is a simple soup to make that is very colorful. I did not have the veg bouillon so left that out. The butter and olive oil were left out to make a very light soup for lunch. For the Tabasco sauce, I decided to try one little tiny dried chili piquin. WOW, did it pack a punch! I'll make this again but will go back to using Tabasco. Made for *Gimme 5 2009* Game.
I made this with homemade vegetable stock rather than the chicken broth, since my vegetarian son & DIL were here for the meal! BIG HIT, GREAT TASTE, MOSE SATISFYING! The only thing I did differently was to leave out the mushrooms (Maybe, with a little arm-twisting, I'll include them another time)! Thaks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Gimme 5 tag]