Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A hearty golden stew that warms you up! For vegetarians and omnivores alike. Meat can be added at the same time as the peppers and mushrooms if preferred. Ingredients can be added or left out to suit tastes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion
- 4 carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 liters water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 20 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 cup barley
- 1⁄2 of a red pepper
- 8 medium white mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb beef or 1⁄2 lb pork or 1⁄2 lb chicken (optional) or 1⁄2 lb sausage (optional)
- Wash all your vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-low heat.
- Dice the onion and add to the oil, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the carrots into 1/4 inch slices and add to the onions, again stirring occasionally.
- Mince the garlic and add to the vegetables.
- Add the water, herbs, salt, worcestershire, and tomato sauce to the mixture and stir.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Chop potatoes into 1" wide pieces and add to pot.
- Mix the barley with some water in a cup or bowl and pour it all into the pot.
- Cover and boil for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While it boils, chop the pepper half into 1/2" pieces, and chop the mushrooms into quarters.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms to the pot after the ten minutes is up. If you care to add beef or any other meat (sausage would probably be fantastic), do so now.
- Turn the heat back down to medium-low and simmer for another 15 minutes.