Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A rich and flavorful soup, full of vegetables and guilt free yumminess. I make a huge batch, then freeze the left over in individual serving size, for quick and easy lunches throughout the month. Feel free to substitute broccoli, cauliflower, frozen vegetables, using more of the ones you like and less of the ones you don't care for. I use what ever I happen to have on hand. So every time I make this it is a little bit different. If you don't care for spiciness, leave out the jalepeno and serrano. If you like more spiciness you can add some ground red pepper when adding the salt and pepper.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 carrots, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, small dice
- 1 serrano pepper, small dice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes (or plain)
- 8 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 8 cups water, filtered
- 4 cups mushroom broth (or substitute 2 c filtered water and 2 c veg stock)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 sprig fresh sage or 3 -4 leaves fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, 3 inches
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 cup barley (rinsed)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower, small pieces
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach, organic
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
- sea salt
- Heat a very large heavy pot, over high heat. Add olive oil. Add to pot, one at a time, and saute about 1 minute before adding next ingredient, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, carrots, jalepenos and serrano; adding a pinch of salt with each addition. Add tomatoes.
- Add liquid, tamari, tomato paste, lemon zest and herbs. Bring to a boil, add barley, reduce heat and cover. Simmer about 1 hour, until barley is tender. Taste for seasoning. Add Salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove bay leaf, and sprigs of herbs. Add broccoli, cauliflower, simmer about 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms, frozen mixed vegetables, and simmer a few more minutes. Stir in spinach and lemon juice.
- Garnish with basil or flat leaf parsley and/or drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.