Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe makes a large soup pot full and I like to divide it into individual portions and freeze it for lunches when I'm at home. Adaptable with additional vegetables or make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, sliced thin
- 4 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use a 900 ml tetrapak)
- 5 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley, rinsed under cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium low heat.
- Add onions, celery and carrots and stir until onions and celery soften, not browning, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables, tomatoes, broth, water, boullion, barley, bay leaf and italian seasoning. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer one hour uncovered.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I had a cold when I made this and like a miracle I feel better already!
Seriously, I'm trying to eat less meat, so instead of the usual chicken soup for my cold, I made a batch of your Vegetable Barley Soup...that along with cornbread...Dee-licious!
Thank you for sharing this with us, Cookin-jo!
I had some freshly made chicken broth & company coming over so I made this recipe. I amended it for the pressure cooker & it went over very well. The only thing I would change is I'd reduce the cooking time in the cooker (I guessed @ 15 min). The portions of ingredients & seasoning were bang on, thanks for sharing.
Made this over a month ago and froze in 1 person portions after first having some as meal and it was very filling. Have since defrosted it several times and served it with herbed dumplings from my recipe #178340 and recipe #211879 and of course fresh crusty bread. Thank you for a keeper Cookin-jo.