Recipe by Cookin-jo
This recipe makes a large soup pot full and I like to divide it into individual portions and freeze it for lunches when I'm at home. Adaptable with additional vegetables or make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth.
Top Review by Chef Treenie
I had a cold when I made this and like a miracle I feel better already!
Seriously, I'm trying to eat less meat, so instead of the usual chicken soup for my cold, I made a batch of your Vegetable Barley Soup...that along with cornbread...Dee-licious!
Thank you for sharing this with us, Cookin-jo!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, sliced thin
- 4 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use a 900 ml tetrapak)
- 5 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley, rinsed under cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium low heat.
- Add onions, celery and carrots and stir until onions and celery soften, not browning, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables, tomatoes, broth, water, boullion, barley, bay leaf and italian seasoning. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer one hour uncovered.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.