Recipe by Sage
Here is winter time comfort soup. I substituted 2 cups for frozen vegetables for the mushrooms. I made this soup in the slow cooker and came out really nice.Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
Top Review by katew
Absolutely fabulous soup - thick,healthy and a perfect winter meal It was a breeze to make too which is always an added bonus . As this was the first time I had cooked with barley I was worried I would have trouble finding it at the supermarket but there it was with the dried lentils and split peas - no problems at all . I added a bit of chopped coriander and a bit of chopped basil along with the parsley and it was soooo good - so my thanks to Sage.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 473.18 ml mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 177.44 ml pearl barley
- 946.36 ml beef broth
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground pepper
- 473.18 ml potatoes, cubed
- 354.88 ml carrots, sliced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley
- 118.29 ml grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, celery and garlic about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes until softened; add barley and cook another minute.
- Add chicken and beef stock, bay leaves and pepper;bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium low; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots and salt; return to a boil.reduce to medium low and simmer 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf; add parsley.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle on grated parmesan or cheddar cheese.