Recipe by jonesies
Vary the filling by replacing any of the listed vegetables with other vegetables you like, such as peas, corn, cut green beans, strips of sweet peppers, or sliced zucchini.
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of potato soup
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray four 10-ounce custard cups or individual casseroles or one 2-quart casserole with nonstick spray.
- Set in shallow baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 2 cups water to boiling.
- Add vegetables and barley.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain.
- Return vegetables and barley to saucepan.
- IN small mixing bowl stir together soup, the 2/3 cup milk, thyme, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Stir into vegetables.
- Divide mixture among prepared cups or casseroles or spoon into the casserole dish.
- In a bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center; add the 1/3 cup milk.
- Stir with a fork just until moistened.
- Drop small spoonfuls of dough on top of each individual casserole or 8 mounds of dough onto large casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes for individual casseroles or about 18 minutes for large casserole or until topping is golden.