Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From the Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook.
- 2 1⁄8 cups wheat berries
- 12 cups water
- 2 lbs eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (aubergine)
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices (courgettes)
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separated into rings
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 sprigs flat-leaf Italian parsley
- In a large pot combine the wheat berries and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until most of water has been absorbed and wheat berries are chewy and tender (about 1 1/2 hours). Drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large ovenproof casserole or roasting pan, combine eggplant, tomatoes and their juice, zucchini, onions, bell peppers, olives, garlic, and cayenne. Mix thoroughly. Cover and bake stirring once or twice, until vegetables are tender (about 1 hour).
- To serve, stir chopped parsley and vinegar into the vegetables. Divide wheat berries among plates and top with equal amounts of the vegetables. Garnish with a parsley sprig.