Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
For my vegetarian & tofu-loving friends, here's a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens' Fresh and Simple Vegetable Dinners cookbook(let)!
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Prepare rice according to package directions, then set aside, but keep warm.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the broth, dry sherry, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar, ginger & the optional red pepper (if desired), then set aside.
- Spray a cold wok or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, then preheat over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry carrots & garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli & stir-fry 3-4 minutes more, or until vegetables are crisp-tender, then push vegetables away from center of wok or skillet.
- Stir sauce, then add to center of wok or skillet, & cook, stirring, until thickened & bubbly.
- Add tofu & stir everything together to coat with sauce.
- Cook & stir for 1 minute more.
- To serve, spoon vegetable mixture over rice.
I had some shitake mushrooms, so I added some of those in. I didn't have any quick cooking brown rice, so used regular. I cooked it for an hour, but it was still a bit crispy....so that is why there is no rice in the photo. But I didn't want to overcook the veggies, and they turned out wonderfully colorful and crisp. Like the other reviewers, I would increase the sauce, but I like lots of sauce, especially if I had the rice too. All the flavors come together nicely, and this was a nice weeknight dinner. Made for PRMR.
I really enjoyed this quick vegetarian dinner. I used Uncle Ben's Converted Brown Rice and doubled the tofu so as to use up the whole package. I wish there had been more sauce and will douple the quantity next time. It may have been too little because the extra tofu absorbed it and so not because of the recipe as it's written. Made for Every Day is a Holiday Tag
This was very good! I have made this twice and the only change I made was to double the sauce as we love it. Thanks for a great recipe, Captain!