For my vegetarian & tofu-loving friends, here's a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens' Fresh and Simple Vegetable Dinners cookbook(let)!
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Prepare rice according to package directions, then set aside, but keep warm.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the broth, dry sherry, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar, ginger & the optional red pepper (if desired), then set aside.
- Spray a cold wok or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, then preheat over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry carrots & garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli & stir-fry 3-4 minutes more, or until vegetables are crisp-tender, then push vegetables away from center of wok or skillet.
- Stir sauce, then add to center of wok or skillet, & cook, stirring, until thickened & bubbly.
- Add tofu & stir everything together to coat with sauce.
- Cook & stir for 1 minute more.
- To serve, spoon vegetable mixture over rice.