Recipe by Outta Here
A version of an Indonesian salad. For spicier dressing, stir in sambal oelek or Sriracha.
- 4 large eggs
- 354.88 ml carrots, julienned
- 354.88 ml green beans, trimmed
- 354.88 ml fresh bean sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
- 396.89 g packagewater-packed extra firm tofu, drained
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 9.85 ml Madras curry powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 78.07 ml creamy peanut butter
- 44.37 ml hot water
- 44.37 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 9.85 ml brown sugar
- 9.85 ml Thai red curry paste
- 1.23 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare salad, place eggs in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 12 minutes. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon (save water in pan); rinse with cold water. Peel eggs; cut in half.
- Return water to a boil. Add carrot, and cook for 1 minute. Remove carrot with a slotted spoon; rinse with cold water, drain and place in a bowl.
- Add the green beans to boiling water, and cook for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove green beans with a slotted spoon; rinse with cold water. Drain and place in a separate bowl.
- Arrange 2 egg halves, about 1/3 cup carrot, 1/3 cup green beans, 1/3 cup bean sprouts, 1/4 cup red bell pepper, and 1/2 cup cucumber on each of 4 plates. Set aside.
- To prepare tofu, cut lengthwise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Place the tofu slices on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut each tofu slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Combine cornstarch, curry powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; gently toss with tofu to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tofu to pan; cook for 10 minutes or until crisp and browned, turning to brown on all sides. Divide tofu evenly among plates.
- To prepare dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. (add more lime juice or water to thin it out to desired consistency).
- Serve each salad with about 3 tablespoons dressing.