Recipe by Stardustannie
A healthy almost no fat dish and a great way to use up all the left over vege's in your crisper.
Top Review by Frugal Fifer
What a lovely easy dish to make. I used low fat cooking spray rather than the oil so it would fit in with my eating plan. I had never had lentils in anything other than soup and will certainly make this dish again. Like most things it tasted even better the second day, especially when served with a dollop of very low fat fromage frais and chopped fresh corriander. Delicious.
- 5 cups asst raw vegetables, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, green beans are a nice combo)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (440 g) can tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and saute onion and garlic in sacuepan for 2 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add all spices and saute for a further minute or so.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer covered, stirring every few minutes for about 25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are cooked.