Recipe by Ruth Tisdale
Wholesome, hearty, and nutritious.
Top Review by Charlie Rush
Terrific soup! While searching for ground beef in my freezer, I located ground hot sausage, as well. Also, I used frozen mixed veges and beef broth instead of water. In place of oregano, I used Italian seasoning, with extra thyme. GOTTA LOVE the cabbage and barley.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 lbs tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 cups canned green beans, drained
- 2 cups canned corn, drained
- 2 cups canned carrots, drained
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté beef in pot or skillet until browned.
- Add the beef, onion, cabbage and water in a large pot and boil until cabbage is tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add water till you have 2 inches of water above the solid part of soup.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down and simmer about 45 minutes.