Recipe by Bec
This is a really filling vegetarian soup, which should be served before a light entree. It is easy to prepare and full of flavor.
Top Review by I Cook Therefore I Am
Ohhhhhh man was this good. Can't even say enough good things about this chowder. I did make a couple changes: I used heavy cream in place of the milk (but about half what the recipe called for) and more vegetable broth than what the recipe called for, and instead of colby cheese I used about 8 oz of Velveeta. I also used half frozen corn and half creamed corn and wow this was just an amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing!!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (whole milk)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 3⁄4 ounces broccoli florets
- 3 cups canned corn, drained weight
- 3⁄4 cup colby cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and potato and then saute over low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Gradually stir in the milk and bouillon.
- Add the broccoli florets and the corn- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Season, then ladle the chowder into warm serving bowls.
- Garnish with the remaining cheese and the chopped fresh cilantro and serve.