Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This idea came to me while searching for a lower fat alternative to chicken alfredo. There's more vegetables and protein than pasta, and there's no real butter in the dish to add to the fat. Tastes like gourmet, and deceptively easy to make.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 cup green pepper
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 2 cups whole wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons Molly McButter
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- prepare chicken using the lemon juice and seasoning salt, let sit on plate while pan heats up.
- Put 1 tsp olive oil in pan, and add one diced clove of garlic when oil is hot.
- Stir then add chicken.
- Cook over high heat till chicken changes color then place into 450°F oven.
- Start "cream" sauce.
- Put condensed cream of mushroom soup in pan.
- Using add water following directions.
- If using white wine, put wine in can, then fill to top with water.
- Sprinkle in powdered butter substitute (Molly Mcbutter), and 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
- Stir constantly while bringing to a boil.
- Add Parmesan cheese.
- Turn heat to low and simmer.
- Boil water for pasta.
- When boiling add penne.
- Dice green peppers and put aside.
- Cut roasted red peppers into strips.
- Toss broccoli, green peppers and peas (if the frozen kind) into a pan with 1 tsp olive oil and fry quickly over high heat.
- When broccoli starts to change color, turn heat to medium, add chicken broth and cover.
- While vegetables cook, use cornstarch to thicken"cream" sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once thickened add remaining garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add more of anything if necessary.
- Drain pasta and toss into bowl.
- Add sauce and cover.
- Remove chicken from oven.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Chicken should be cooked for approximately 30 minutes depending on size.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and roasted red pepper to vegetables, stir and toss into sauce and pasta.
- Last add chicken, stir and serve.
- Top with parmesan cheese and fresh cracked black pepper. Feel free to add more butter substitute if you prefer.