Recipe by Anomalyk
From Shape magazine, this is a vegetarian dish that looks and tastes great! You don't have to use the veggies that they list - I use anything that's in season and looks good at the market here! You can also substitute one 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes for the fresh ones in the ingredients list
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and stir in saffron, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and rice; stir to combine. Pour in reserved broth and bring to a boil. Cover, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven, uncover, and place asparagus and artichokes on top, pushing vegetables into the rice. Scatter peas over the top. Cover and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes more, or until all the broth is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.