Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is hearty, pretty healthy and makes a lot. All pluses in my book! I found this recipe years ago while looking for healthy budget recipes.
- 6 ounces lean ham, diced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 32 ounces black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- Combine all ingredients and heat to boiling.
- Simmer until veggies are tender to your liking.
This is very good and very quick. I made a few changes, subbing turkey smoked sausage for the ham (I don't eat pork) and adding a dash or two of liquid smoke for flavor. I also used vegetable broth because I was out of chicken broth. Thanks for posting a keeper, merandmalmom!