Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Good Food Magazine, September 1986.
Make and share this Vegetable and Beef Stir-Fry With Brown Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 lb flank steak
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 large scallions, cut diagonally into 1-inch slices
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise, then sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, slice steak 1/4-inch thick, then cut slices crosswise in half. Whisk 1 T. peanut oil, the sherry, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, and half the ginger and garlic in small bowl. Add steak and toss to combine.
- Heat 1 T. peanut oil in large heavy skillet over high heat until a drop of water evaporates on contact. Add remaining ginger, garlic, and the scallions. Reduce heat to medium-high; stir-fry 1 minute. Transfer with slotted spoon to medium bowl. Add peas, squash and bell pepper to skillet; stir-fry until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Add to scallions.
- Add 1 T. oil to skillet and heat over high heat. Add pepper flakes to steak and stir to separate pieces;. Add steak to skillet; stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet; stir-fry until hot, about 1 minute.
- Serve beef stir-fry with brown rice.
A good, basic and not salty (which is nice for a change) stir-fry recipe. I did add 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce. I made this for the ZWT4 Diabetic Challenge which required you add 5 more more veggies to the dish. . .so I went overboard and put in like 10; I used red pepper, green pepper onion, broccoli, baby carrots, snow peas, bamboo shoots, water chesnuts, mushfrooms, baby corn, and bok choy! Thanks!