Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm hoping I have the measurement right as this comes from my old Moosewood cookbook and I've done it for so long I'm not sure if it is exactly right...but believe me when I tell you it tastes wonderful! This is a full vegetarian meal made complete with a good tomato basil soup and French Bread!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 3 cups navy beans, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock (or cooking liquid from beans) or 1⁄2 cup water (or cooking liquid from beans)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 4 -6 zucchini (on the small side)
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- Saute the onions in the olive oil for about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery, salt, pepper, tarragon, dill and bay leaves and saute another 5 minutes. Stir in the green peppers and simmer covered until all the vegies are tender.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Saute the garlic in the butter (don't burn!).
- In a blender or processor, puree 1 cup of the cooked beans in 1/2 cup liquid.
- Mix together gently the cream cheese cubes, lemon juice and the pepper sauce into the sauted vegies. Stir in the sauteed garlic and the beans (pureed and whole) Taste and add seasoning if desired.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out the middle carefully being sure not to break the "boat" and spoon in the filling. Pack the "boats" into a baking pan allowing them to lean up against each other and the sides of the pan so they don't fall over and dump the filling!
- Add 1/2" of water to the bottom of the pan, cover tightly and bake at 250º for 45 minutes. Top with parsley and serve.