Prep 1 min
Cook 4 mins
Vegemite is an Australian food icon, which can be consumed daily. It is a spread made mainly from concentrated yeast extract that is leftover from the beer brewing process, but that doesn't make it alcoholic.
- 2 slices bread, preferable white
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vegemite, more if you are game
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter or 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine, Generous serve is recommended
- Toast your favourite variety of bread, butter it generously and spread a thin layer of Vegemite on it. (Reminder, this is very flavoursdome stuff so you don't need to use much at all).
- Other variations include:.
- - vegemite on toast with cheese, then grill to melt.
- - vegemite with cheese and tomato, then grill.
How clever of you to submit this as a recipe! Yum! I've loved vegemite since I was a kid (of course) but I have to admit that I spread about six times the amount you show - but then, I eat it by the spoonful (or off the spreading knife, lol).
NO comparison with marmite or promite though, please! Neither are nearly as good! :D
OH MY GOD! Never ate Vegemite before today and I'm hooked after one bite. Did add some mild cheddar.
Whilst I was brought up on this breakfast (along with milo) I have found in later years - having lived in the Irish land of beer and guinness - that it is a fantastic hangover cure-all. It has the protein needed for energy, the B vitamins to perk you up (if only for a short time, but at least long enough to realise you haven't died and gone to hell) and its usually spread on carbs which will emit energy over the next couple of hours. Hallelujah vegemite!!