Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
An Aussie breakfast treat
- 1 English muffin, split, toasted and buttered
- 2 teaspoons vegemite
- 2 slices processed cheese (such as Kraft singles)
- 2 eggs, poached (or scrambled)
- Spread each half of English muffin with 1 teaspoon Vegemite.
- Top each half with 1 slice of cheese and a poached egg on top of cheese. (or scrambled eggs).
I have to admit, I was skeptical of anything called vegemite....reminded me of I Love Lucy and her Vegi something drink. Warning....the vegemite is very salty, so do not salt your egg. I used white American cheese, and although I can't say I'd make this again, but for a one time try, this was edible. A fun thing to make and try while on ZWT8.
My family give a BIG 5 stars for this delicious Aussie Breakfast (we had them for lunch)....actually we would give way more than 5 stars if we could. Made as written for my family and with gluten-free muffins and gluten-free imitation vegemite for me. We used Kraft processed cheese slices too. Served topped with some ground pepper. Photo also to be posted. Reviewed for ZWT8 visit to Australia
I have often had an egg or cheese on toast with vegemite but this is first time I have had both the egg and the cheese on a muffin (I used a wholegrain muffin) and it was absolutely delicious and thoroughly enjoyed, thank you Mikekey, made for Everyday A Holiday tag game.