Recipe by Sharon123
This Iranian sweet is quite unusual but also quite absurdly simple really. It is delightfully simple to make and has a milky sweet taste with a lovely creamy consistency and colourful crunchy pistachios all over the top - what more could you ask for in a dessert? The only thing you really need to know about it is that you have to stir it constantly to stop it going lumpy. From Gormandize.
- 1 liter almond milk (1 1/8 quart)
- 1 liter cold water (1 1/8 quart)
- 150 g cornstarch (5 ounces)
- 80 g rice flour (3 ounces)
- 500 g raw sugar (17 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup rose water
- 1 cup pistachios, very finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cold water in a large bowl and add the cornstarch. Stir well until the cornstarch is completely dissolved (there should be no lumps as long as you do this in cold water).
- Place the almond milk and rice flour in a saucepan and stir well to dissolve. Add the cornstarch and place the saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir continuously while the liquid heats up and bring it to a simmer. Stir continuously!
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until it becomes the consistency of thick custard (stirring continuously!).
- Pour into a large wide rectangular dish (like a big lasagne dish) and smooth the surface out level. Allow to cool.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours and then cut into diamond shaped slices in the pan.
- Spread the crushed pistachios over the top and serve.